- Chronology of the watch and understanding its complications
- Watch terminology
- Chronograph movements and ETA (VALJOUX) dials
- Complications explained
- Understanding the differences between, 'Homage, Frankenstein, Re-Works, Fake and Super-Fake' timepieces.
- Identifying the components of a 'GENUINE' timepiece:In this section we will cover a timepiece’s case (weight and finish), the dial, and hands, strap,complication, and finally movement so that you can discern a real timepiece prior to opening it up.
- Reference Material:No person can know every watch, exactly its face and how the movement should look. In this part, we will show how to quickly reference a timepiece to its 'original' manufacturer.
- Hands On Fakes versus Genuine versus Reworks: In this section students will examine examples of fake, genuine, re-works wristwatches. The instructor will give 'tips' on how to quickly separate the genuine from the fake.
This course will include the following watch brands/makers: Omega, Hublot, Rolex, Rolex-Tudor, Breitling, Cartier, Tag Heuer, Panerai, Bell & Ross, Mont Blanc, Girard-Perregaux, Audermars Piquet
1) The basics of how a watch works, including correct nomenclature of watch parts
Length: 3 day course: 8:30am-5:00pm
Optional one day "Watches for the novice" Friday, May 19th: $300 additional
During this optional one day course participants will learn:
2) Identifying different case types and how to open different watch cases with the appropriate tools
3) How to photograph watches and list them for online storefronts and sales
This one day optional course is to help participants who do not regularly handle or work with watches with background information so that they can be successful in the three full day course. It will begin at 10:00am and run until 4:00pm.
Instructor: Adam Harris
Click here to listen to a podcast featuring Adam Harris discussing the course and tips.
$900 NAWCC members (early bird period only)
$1000 early bird Non Members (before 4/20/2017)
$1250 regular registration (registration after April 20, 2017)
**$300 additional if taking optional day "Watches for the Novice" on Friday, May 19
*Discounts available if sending two or more employees from the same business or if registering for Time Is Money: Researching, Identifying, and Valuing Wrist and Pocket Watches course. Please call 717-684-8261 ext.211 for discount information.
For questions on this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Participant Comments on the Course:
"I've heard amazing and great things in regards to the overall course and last day. Thank you so much for your time and education." (Lauren Kaminsky Goldman, President EZ Pawn Corp.)
“Luxury or Lie is the first of its kind of workshop in Singapore. Excellent rendition of Swiss Timepieces knowledge from terminologies, movements, part of watches and manufacturers. Now I can spot a fake watch instantly! (Kevin Ng, Director of Global Capital Consultancy Pte Ltd)
With the continual improvements in technology, the detection of fake watches requires a greater awareness and scrutiny of all the watches that come across our pawn counter. Being the World Famous Gold & Silver Pawnshop from the show “Pawn Stars” we see a lot of watches. Adam Harris presented “Luxury or Lie” a three-day hands-on training class for our Pawn Brokers and Sales staff. His knowledge was vast and his understanding as to the inner workings of the different watch brands was significant. Adam provided training sessions that will clearly help our employees identify fraudulent watches. Adam is a true professional and we would encourage his course to anyone who is in the business of buying/selling watches." (Rick Harrison, World Famous Gold & Silver Pawnshop)
"This course is an essential resource for all who deal with high end luxury watches. Even if you have had many years of experience and feel confident identifying Asian fakes, the latest generation of Ultra Fakes, made by Swiss craftsmen duplicating their country men's work, is astounding and disturbing. Only by training in the identification of the minor differences from genuine material can you avoid significant problems. The tuition and more importantly the time away from your business is warranted. I have taken the course for a second time to learn the latest advances in the counterfeiter's "art". As an appraiser, I now feel more confident in evaluating high end luxury brands. This is protection and security for ourselves and for our clients." Joseph M. Jabbour, M.D., ISA"
“The class was a great asset to my business, and I will use what I learned daily. Thanks for offering the course. Please give my regards to everyone at NAWCC. It's great to be a member!” (Martin Fuller, Martin Fuller Appraisals LLC)
“Great job! You'll be pleased to know that we were able to apply some of the new techniques within 24 hrs.” (Anthony LoRe, The Provident Loan Society of New York)
"Just a little note to thank you for the links and to tell you Bravo! for another great class. Your extensive knowledge and passion for watches made this course very enjoyable the second time around and well worth my time. My learning experience combined with your expanded reference "bible" is invaluable and gives me the confidence to accurately identify the luxury watches I regularly see in my appraisal practice. I highly recommend this course, the litmus test is worth the price of the course alone." (Elissa Cohen, Lenz Gems & Jewelry Appraisals)
“I’ve been telling my colleagues how terrific you were and that it is an essential course to take the next time it comes up.” (Gina D’Onofrio, Jewelry Appraisal Services)